May 14, 2011

Fairy Tale Unit

This week our first grade team started our fairy tale unit. We got so many great ideas from you wonderful bloggers and I bought the fairy tale unit from Primary Perspective. Thank you all so much! Here is how week one turned out in my classroom:

This week we read Jack and the Beanstalk, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty. But we focused on Cinderella and The Three Little Pigs.
The Fairy Tale Journal was from Primary Perspective's Unit




After we read Cinderella, the kids made magic wands and wrote about what they would do if they had one.


After we talked about the fairy tale elements from the story we sequenced it.

Then the kids wrote about what they would have used to build their house to keep the wolf away. Then they illustrated their houses.





We finished the week by watching Cinderella. It was such a kick for me too. I haven't seen it since I was their age!


Next week we are going to read and learn about Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Princess and Pea, and Rumpelstiltskin. We will also pick our favorite fairy tale and characters to write about. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I seriously love this! I want to do it now...shocking I know :) We just read "The Three Little Pigs" and "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" compared them and wrote about who we believed and why, it was fun :)

Jamie said...

How FUN! Looks like your kiddos had lots of fun!