April 12, 2011

Butterflies

One of my favorite things I do every year is order caterpillars and watch them change with my first graders! This year 4/5 caterpillars made their chrysalises. Here are our tallies:



Here are our tiny caterpillars at the begining:


Here they are much bigger:

Here the caterpillars have made their chrysalises:


Yesterday, all 4 butterflies came out!

The kids (and I) couldn't stop watching.

This year the butterflies were especially bloody when they came out. Normally I get the cage spotted with blood, but this year-- yikes! The blood literally SHOT out! It was soo gross!


Notice the blood stained pinch cards? EWW! Today we set the butterflies free.

It was a VERY exciting day in our classroom!


(Notice the blood stained cage)

Waving goodbye to our butterflies!

6 comments:

Janae said...

How exciting! We are doing the same thing right now. I was so happy mine turned into the chrysalis, because I really thought they were going to die. I accidentally left the cup on top of the document camera overnight. It overheated and the cup was full of moisture. Luckily they survived! :)

Anonymous said...

I've done this before and it is truly so much fun to watch the entire process!! Love it!

Raven said...

love this. My first ever tattoo (I have seven) was a butterfly on my foot :)

Jamie said...

How neat! I love the picture of them waving bye :)

Dirt On The Rocks said...

this is awesome i've never really had a teacher do this at school. it's a really nice way to show kids about changes. this is something i'd love to share with my own son

Megan said...

I am loving the blood stained cages... ewwww! I think I told you this before, but one year our second grade did this.... let the butterflies free in our field... and a group of birds all came out of the trees and had themselves a little feast! Yikes -- the poor kids were traumatized! It was a good lesson in the food chain though, I guess!