October 4, 2012

The Birth Story

Thanks for being patient everyone!
As I sit here pumping, I thought I would write about the twins' birth.

So as you know, my little munchkins were happy as clams being in my tummy and had no desire to come out.  I hadn't had contractions for weeks and the babies heart rates were good.  I made it to my 37 week appointments with no issues so the doctors decided to schedule a c-section for the following week (the day I hit 38 weeks- September 27th). I knew I wanted a c-section from the get-go.  I had Reagan vaginally and lets just say I wasn't any fun.  I "gave up" about half way through and decided I would rather keep him in then keep pushing. No such luck. But anyway. I knew one time delivering vaginally was enough for me and if I had the choice with the twins I'd rather not do it again.  (And for all you preggo mommies out there who are planning on delivering vaginally- I'm sure you will be awesome. I just have a ZERO pain tolerance and I am a huge wimp.) Turned out Harper was breech for most of my pregnancy anyway- so c-section was good.

Thursday morning the 27th we got up, kissed Reagan goodbye as he went to preschool, and got ready.  We arrived at the hospital at 11:30 for check-in.  There they hooked me up to monitors and told me about the procedure.  I was starving and very thirsty at this point. I hadn't eaten since 5 pm the night before and hadn't had anything to drink since 11 pm the night before.  Torture for someone who was used to drinking enough water throughout the day and night to fill an ocean. But that was the hospital's orders. I had my IV put in (twice actually- the nurse struggled with the vein the first time- awesome, right?) Holy ouch.  I still think the IV hurts more than anything else. My doctor arrived, I met her surgical assistant and the team that would be in my operating room. I kid you not when I say team. There were 12 people in there working on me and the babies.  Most of them for the babies! 

At 1:20 they wheeled me into the OR. It was time for the spinal.  The anesthesiologist had me sit criss-cross on the table and curl up into a ball.  He struggled to find a good spot (which had happened with my epidural with Reagan too-- I guess my back is too tight/tense, no surprise there!)  But finally he got it and boy was that feeling amazing. I literally felt my lower body go numb so fast.  They got Nick from the waiting area and he came in to stand by me.  I was totally awake and felt pressure on my tummy but definitely no pain.  I remember them all commenting on seeing Hudson's hand and then out it popped through the water sack. So funny. Then at 2:01 pm,  out came Hudson!  The doctors couldn't believe how big he was!  They handed him off to the nursery nurses who cleaned him up and got his stats.  

Hudson Brooks - 6 lbs 3 oz and 19 inches long

Then it was time for Harper. She came out at 2:02 pm and was handed off.  

Harper Grace - 6 lb, 5 oz and 19 inches long

My doctor then tied my tubes. Yes. I am done with kids! Last, they stitched me up and cleaned me up.  Nick watched the whole thing and was pretty intrigued by the process.   He snapped pictures throughout but I will save you those gory pics. They are even too graphic for me and I went through it! 

Our family was reunited shortly after and we had our first birthday picture with the twins.

Next I was wheeled off to my original room for some recovery.  
I will still numb as can be and feeling no pain.  

My mom was in there waiting with Nick's mom and dad. Not 5 minutes in the room the nurses put the babies to my breast. I was kind of shocked. 1) I couldn't feel my body- how was I to hold my babies. 2) I had never nursed 2 babies at the same time before. Overwhelming much? So my mom and mother in law quickly stepped in and each held a baby to my breasts. Pretty crazy. 

Not long after, I was wheeled with my babies to my new room.  

So that was the twins' birth story!
I will be back with more about our hospital stay and our first days home!
Thanks so much for all of your well wishes and sweet comments.


undomestic chica said...

This takes me back, it looks like your family picture could have been taken in my hospital! I've never had a vaginal birth, but I don't think I want to either. You know what's funny? I'm scared of trying to nurse only one baby at a time someday - I've got two down! Can't wait to watch them grow up, they're beautiful.

Amy - The Resource(ful) Room said...

Oh my they are so adorable!!! I have loved reading about your journey and can't wait to read more about those two little bundles of joy as they grow!! Congrats to you and your family :)
The Resource(ful) Room

Erika Trevathan said...

Yay! I am so happy for you that everything went so well. What a sweet birth story:)

Mrs. Kindergarten...aka...Madame Spoiled said...

Well I'd say that went quite well! As a LUCKY mother of an only child and a kindergarten teacher I totally understand done with having kids. I was so very lucky to get my baby girl that I never wanted to chance a thing. She will be getting her driving temps tomorrow!? What?!? Time flies!

Love and Hugs,
Mrs. Kindergarten...aka...Madame Spoiled

Mrs. Ruby said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Girl! So, so, so happy for you and your adorable family. So sweet!!! :)

Sara said...

Congrats! The twins are cuties. Hope your getting some kind of sleep.

Jana Faith said...

Many congrats! I love the behind the scenes story about your little ones. That's really cool! Thank you so much for sharing your family and life with us.

Melissa said...


lori said...

wow, 6 lb. twins?! you are amazing, mama!! they are beautiful, congrats!!!

The Wallace Family said...

So precious! Congrats and can't wait to see more pictures:)

Victoria said...

Wow. We have been with the twins a week ! They are beautiful, and you just had a perfect pregnancy and delivery! Love you! Mom

Lauren said...

SO amazing!! Congratulations!! You look AMAZING!! What a rock star!!

KRISTIN said...

Oh man, this post makes me so happy and excited and scared. LOL! You look so happy and the twins are so flippin cute!