April 2, 2010

Reagan's birth story

Wow.. a year ago today Reagan's birth story began!

Okay, if you remember my post from yesterday, I left you with dinner at Pei Wei where I ate spicy, orange chicken... I do think that this helped push things along.. maybe, maybe not. We came home and when it was time for bed I felt really weird. I felt like I had an upset tummy and couldn't get comfortable. So I came to lay out on the couch. Nick ended up joining me on the couch. We look redic, but it was sweet. Around midnight I started feeling really weird. Too much info here- but I felt like I had to go to the bathroom and nothing was happening. I finally fell asleep early in the morning .... I woke up with contractions at 5:30 am. Nick and I put on our shoes and walked around the neighborhood .... we were thinking that if it was real labor it would continue and if it was false labor it would stop with the walking. The contractions didn't stop.... so I hopped in the shower (shave and smell pretty and all) while Nick called the doctor. She said to drive on over to the hospital and get checked out.

We got things ready to leave, arranged for my friend Amy to come and watch the dogs, and hopped on the freeway. Our doctor and the hospital she delivered at was in a different city than we lived in. It was rush hour so we were sat in traffic and headed north. We arrived at the hospital and sat in triage. We had the bitchiest nurse from hell. I seriously cant explain how rude she was. I was clearly tense and nervous and she was yelling at me to relax. Anyways, she ultimately sent us home because I wasn't ready to be admitted yet... ahhh.. (It was 10:30 now) Luckily my parent's house was near that hospital so we went back there. I took a bath which also helped to speed things along and laid down while Nick and my mom helped me through the contractions. It was so painful. At 1:00 my mom said it was time to go back to the hospital. I was admitted and told to walk around the hospital .... I still remember how awkward it felt walking around in that little hospital gown... I felt like I was totally exposed! Walking was helpful but every few corners I would have a big contractions and basically be crying in the hallway! I finally decided I couldn't try and be strong anymore and I needed the epidural. That is when heaven set in!

I was terrified of the epidural but it honestly wasn't as bad as I thought! Once I had it, life was good. I napped for awhile. When I woke up it was time to start pushing. They called for the doctor who was out at dinner. She raced in and threw on her scrubs. Once she was in and ready it was time to start pushing. I pushed for an hour an a half and probably made it harder than it needed to be.

At 10:10pm Reagan was born! He weighed 8lbs 1 oz and was healthy and happy!
It was love at first sight.

Here are some pictures from that day:

I love this picture. This was in the afternoon before the epidural. Clearly I was unhappy!

This was after the epidural .... heaven

First family photo! Reagan was just born! Literally like 5 minutes old.


littledaisymay said...

Happy 1st birthday Reagan!

That one girl said...

Ahh, super cute! Doesn't the year go by too fast?!

Megan said...

I remember thinking just that day about when you were going to have him, then got the text later that night! So crazy! You looked great and I can't believe he is already a year old!!!!